Claire French TEP
Job Role at EMG
I am an Associate Solicitor in the Wills, Trusts & Probate team. I provide advice on all aspects of private client work, including:
- Court of Protection applications including: to be appointed as a property and financial affairs deputy; to sell a jointly owned property; for a statutory will; and for lifetime gift/s.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney (for property and financial affairs and health and welfare), Advance Statements and Advance Decisions (“living wills”).
- Registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney.
- Wills from straightforward Wills to more complex ones, for example to capture inheritance tax exemptions and reliefs, undertake care home fee planning, mitigate a claim by a potentially disgruntled beneficiary, provide for a disabled beneficiary whilst protecting access to statutory care and funding, and to consider capacity issues.
- Establishing trusts in lifetime and on death.
- Estate administration from obtaining the Grant, to dealing with the assets and liabilities of the estate and distributions in line with the Will or Intestacy Rules.
I qualified as a solicitor in 2014 having previously worked as a chartered accountant at a leading accountancy and business advisory firm in London. I have specialised in Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney, trusts, Court of Protection work and estate administration since qualification. I am a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners having achieved a worldwide excellence award for being the highest scoring student in my Trust and Estate Accounting exam and distinction in my Advanced Certificate in Advising Vulnerable Clients. I sit on the committee of STEP North East & Cumbria branch. I am also a full member of Solicitors for the Elderly and a Dementia Friend.
What you like about working at EMG?
At EMG Solicitors there is a great sense of each member of the team working together to achieve the best for every client. The atmosphere is open, energetic, and friendly.
Outside of EMG
Outside work I will probably be found covered in mud after being out and about with my dogs or enjoying a cappuccino and a slice of cake in one of my favourite coffee shops!